Why Teaching, Testing, Textbooks & Technology are Not Enough
© Bruce Lindgren 2017
Return to Main Page
My reading for this project has included, but certainly has not been limited to:
I have started work on an annotated version of this bibliography.
- Ancona, Deborah. X-Teams: How to Build Teams that Lead, Innovate and Succeed.
- Banathy, Bela. Systems Design of Education.
- Barrett, Lisa Feldman. 2016. How Emotions are Made; The Secret Life of the Brain.
- Barnard, Peter A. The Systems Thinking School: Redesigning Schools from the Inside Out.
- Bateson, Gregory. Steps to an Ecology of Mind.
- Berlinerblau, Jacques. How to be Secular; A Call to Arms for Religious Freedom.
- Biesta, Gert J. J. Beautiful Risk of Education.
- Blumenstyk, Goldie. American Higher Education in Crisis?: What Everyone Needs to Know ...
- Bohm, David. On Dialogue.
- Burke-Harris, Nadine. 2018. The Deepest Well; Healing the Long-term Effects of Childhood Adversity. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. New York.
- Burch, Patricia. Hidden Markets: The New Education Privatization.
- Carey, Kevin. The End of College: Creating the Future of Learning and the ...
- Carreira, Jeff. Radical Inclusivity: Expanding Our Minds Beyond Dualistic Thinking.
- Chen, Milton. Education Nation: Six Leading Edges of Innovation in Our Schools.
- Christensen, Clayton M. et.al. The Innovators Prescription: A Disruptive Solution for Health Care ...
- Churchland, Patricia S. Braintrust: What Neuroscience Tells Us about Morality.
- Clinton, Hillary Rodham. It Takes a Village.
- Collins, Allan & Richard Halverson. Rethinking Education in the Age of Technology: The Digital Revolution & Schooling in America.
- Committee on Developments in the Science of Learning. How People Learn: Brain, Mind, Experience, and School ...
- Costandi, Moheb. Neuroplasticity.
- Crawford, Matthew B. Shop Class as Soulcraft: An Inquiry into the Value of Work.
- Csikszentmihalyi, Mihaly. Finding Flow: The Psychology of Engagement with Everyday Life.
- Cull, Jane. Living Systems: An Introductory Guide to the Theories of Humberto Maturana & Francisco Varella.
- Damasio, Antonio. Self Comes to Mind: Constructing the Conscious Brain.
- Dennett, Daniel C. Darwin's Dangerous Idea.
- Dennett, Daniel C. From Bacteria to Bach and Back; The Evolugion of Minds.
- Dennett, Daniel C. & Linda LaScola. Caught in the Pulpit: Leaving Belief Behind.
- Dewey, John. Democracy and Education: An Introduction to the Philosophy of Education.
- Dewey, John. Experience & Education.
- Dewey, John. The School and Society and The Child and the Curriculum.
- Dorfman, Adam B. 2015. Conceptual Revolutions in Science. A Collection of Science Explorations and Interviews.
- Dvorak, Radana. Moodle for Dummies.
- Elder, Linda & Richard Paul. The Thinker's Guide to Analytic Thinking.
- Elliott, David L & Arthur Woodward. eds. 1990. Textbooks and Schooling in the United States.
- Goodlad, John I. ed. 1987. The Ecology of School Renewal.
- Gardner, Howard. Intelligence Reframed: Multiple Intelligences for the 21st Century.
- Gillen, Jay. Educating for Insurgency: The Roles of Young People in School Reform.
- Goleman, Daniel. Emotional Intelligence: Why It Can Matter More Than IQ.
- Hayek, F. A. 1943. The Road to Serfdom. The Definitive Edition; edited by Bruce Caldwell, 2007.
- Hedges, Chris. Empire of Illusion: The End of Literacy and the Triumph of Special ...
- Hutchins, C. Larry. Systemic Thinking: Solving Complex Problems.
- Immordino-Yang, Mary Helen. Emotions, Learning and the Brain; Exploring the Educational Implications of Affective Neuroscience.
- Isaacs, William. Dialogue: the Art of Thinking Together.
- Junge, Ember Reichgott. Zero Chance of Passage: The Pioneering Charter School Story.
- Kegan, Robert. 1982. The Evolving Self: Problem and Process in Human Development.
- Kegan, Robert & Lisa Lahey. Immunity to Change: How to Overcome It and Unlock the Potential in Yourself and Your Organization.
- Kolderie, Ted. 2016. The Split Screen Strategy: How to Turn Education into a Self-Improving System.
- Kolderie, Ted. 2017. Thinking Out the How.
- Lakoff, George & Mark Johnson. Philosophy in the Flesh: The Embodied Mind and Its Challenge to Western Thought.
- LeDoux, Joseph. The Emotional Brain: The Mysterious Underpinnings of Emotional Life.
- Locke, John. Some Thoughts Concerning Education.
- Lovins, Amory & Michael Braungart. A New Dynamic: Effective Business in a Circular Economy.
- Marsh, John. Class Dismissed: Why We Cannot Teach or Learn Our Way Out of Inequality.
- Maturana, Humberto R. & Francisco J. Varela. The Tree of Knowledge.
- Meadows, Donella. Thinking in Systems: A Primer.
- Oakes, Jeannie & Karen Hunter Quartz. 1995. Cre4ating New Educational Communities.
- Oreskes, Naomi & Erik Conway. Merchants of Doubt: How a Handful of Scientists Obscured ...
- Oreskes, Naomi & Erik Conway. The Collapse of Western Civilization: A View from the Future.
- Palloff, Rena M. & Keith Pratt. Building Learning Communities in Cyberspece: Effective Strategies for the Online Classroom.
- Participant Media. Waiting for "SUPERMAN": How We Can Save America's Failing Public Schools.
- Perelman, Lewis J. 1992. SCHOOL'S OUT: A Radical New Formula for the Revitalization of America's Educational System.
- Phillips, D. C. ed. Constructivism in Education: Opinions and Second Opinions on Controversial Issues.
- Pinker, Steven. The Language Instinct.
- Pinker, Steven. How the Mind Works.
- Pinker, Susan. The Village Effect: How Face-to-Face Contact Can Make Us Healthier, Happier, and Smarter.
- Ravitch, Diane. Reign of Error: The Hoax of the Privatization Movement and the Danger to America's Public Schools.
- Reigleuth, Charles & Jennifer Karnopp. Reinventing Schools: It's Time to Break the Mold.
- Resnick, Mitchel. 2017. Cultivating Creativity through Projects, Passion, Peers, and Play. MIT Press. Forward by Sir Ken Robinson.
- Robinson Ken. Creative Schools: The Grassroots Revolution ...
- Searle, John R, Mind, Language & Society: Philosophy for the Real World.
- Senge, Peter M. The Fifth Discipline: The Art & Practice of the Learning Organization.
- Senge, Peter, et al. Schools That Learn.
- Stavredes, Tina. Effective Online Teaching: Foundations and Strategies for Student Success.
- Stevens, Mitchell & Michael Kirst. Remaking College: The Changing Ecology of Higher Education.
- Trayser, Johnj R. 2016. The ACEs Revolution! The Impact of Adverse Childhood Experiences.
- Venter, J. Craig. Life At The Speed of Light: From the Double Helix to the Dawn of Digital Life.
- Wagner, Tony. Creating Innovators: The Making of Young People Who Will Change the World.
- Whitmire, Richard. Why Boys Fail: Saving Our Sons from an Educational System That's Leaving Them Behind.
- Wilber, Ken. The Fourth Turning: Imagining the Evolution of an Integral Buddhism.
- Wilson, Edward O. 20xx. Consilience; The Unity of Knowledge.
- Wilson, Edward O. Half-Earth: Our Planet's Fight for Life.
- Wolf, Patricia. Brain Matters: Translating Research Into Classroom Practice.
More will follow ... (last update February 2018)
If you have been reading any of these books, please let me know your thoughts. I'm more than interested in exchanging views ... mail to: bflind (AT) cheqnet (dot) net
Return to Main Page,